Saturday, August 26, 2006

An otherwise splendid night has been tainted with the request of one semi-anonymous person who wanted me to delete my other blog.

Now for more snippets of thoughts:

:::::

Fields of dried dead sunflowers make me sad.
Serene green Tuscan farmscapes make me happy.
Women selling themselves on the side of the freeway at 2:30pm make me sad.
Sisters vibrant with life and expression denying their age make me happy.
Being with a large, loud crowd of American students out to get drunk make me sad.
Playing soccer with my fellow Americans with some Italians makes me happy (and so did a beer afterwords).
Pickpocketers make me sad (and frustrated).
Not giving to beggars makes me sad as well.
Little kids speaking Italian make me happy.
Cheap cappuccinos and gelato make me happy.
Walking alone through the vias of Rome makes me sad.
Walking alone through the vias of Rome makes me happy.

:::::

To add to the beginning of the post--my mother just left for the airport, putting me miles beyond physical contact of anyone from Home. Such a mixed night with mixed feelings.

Today I went to Siena with Mama. There are signs for a "panorama" from the top of Facciocine[sic], part of the Museu near the Duomo in Siena.
"
Views like this should be breathtaking--breathing is a human faculty, and panoramas such as this put us in a superhuman state. We see as angels see--high, over our buildings, hearing echoes of so many more conversations than we normally hear.

I'm at the highest view so far--I could stay up here forever, which is what angels can probably afford to do.
"

Later I went to a Mass in English in a Renaissance-era church called Santa Susanna. Good church, good priests. With the end of the Mass came the mere beginning of the night--I finally got to meet the sweetest most energetic Filipina Sister who works in the Vatican. We went to dinner at one of the new pope's favorite restaurants, from his cardinal days before he was forced to be cloistered. La Borca I think it's called.

When he saw the Sister, the owner of the restaurant threw his arms open and exclaimed "Amore!" The rest of the night was just that awesome. No menus...they just served us tons of amazing food, including a white lasagne made of mushrooms and delicious cheeeeeese...

Then through the lasagne, we got to meet other English speakers in adjacent tables and ended up talking with them for the rest of the night. It was fantastic. The British couple were on their anniversary and they said this was the best night. Sweet.

The rest of the night was more fickle in terms of goodness--Mom had to leave, and there was drama with that. Prior to her leaving I had gone out for a bit to see what Trastavere and Ponte Milvio [sic] was all about--and apparently, they're all about young Italian meet-and-greet. Will have to visit later.

Please check my flickr page for updated pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24207899@N00/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home